Monday, March 28, 2016

The Gift of Gab

I never thought I took much for granted until my TBI took away my ability to speak clearly and fluently. Now that I can't do either, I find myself watching and listening to others chat away and realizing how very much I took for granted my ability to carry on a conversation. I also never realized how central that ability is to living creatures. No matter the language or style, EVERYONE talks to others. Every creature that is social depends on it. I can't now. Me talking is very hard, very tiring, and very hard for others to understand. I miss it. One speech therapist told me it is neurological and nothing can be done. I stopped seeing her. Another speech therapist agreed with me when she said, "We won't know until we try, eh?" Thankfully, she is the speech therapist I saw after the TBI in 2000 but before the accidents in August and September 2014. She and I work very well together, she is patient, she is very good at what she does, she pushes me, and she is a fighter. I need fellow fighters working with me. I won't give up until and unless I know I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment